Treats, Play, Love
Make Dog Training Fun for You and your Best FriendUnknown - 2008
Treats, Play, Love is the collected wisdom of Patricia G. Burnham, the author of the highly successful Playtraining Your Dog , which has been in print for more than twenty-five years. Now, after fifty years in the business, she brings to this new book a focus on food training your dog with small treats, while still incorporating fun and games into teaching basic and advanced obedience. Burnham uses no compulsive training or punishment for incorrect or unwanted behaviors (such as barking, biting, urinating inside, or begging), but rather offers rewards for correct behavior, thus reinforcing it.
Topics covered include:
· Basic obedience training for puppies (exercises for sit, down, heel, and stay)
· House manners for older puppies and adult dogs (no whining or barking)
· Recipes for tasty dog treats that your four-legged friend will do anything for
· Understanding your dog's personality
· Preventing dog bites
· Dealing with shy or fearful dogs
· Advice and exercises for training and showing a dog in obedience trials in novice class, open class, and utility class
· Reflections on the end of your dog's life
There are more than 100 photos and line drawings throughout the book to illustrate movements and exercises, and for owners who want to show their dogs, there are detailed descriptions of what they can expect once they enter the ring.
Although Burnham works almost exclusively with greyhounds (which are notoriously difficult to train), her wisdom and expertise apply to all breeds, and her warmth, sound advice, and personal tone make Treats, Play, Love a joy to use.